Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Birth Day!

Not the type of day you would expect on April 28th, but it's another "Oregon day" in my book.

Gardening sure is creeping into the media these days. White House garden, community gardens, gardening clips on GMA. I love it! It's about time people realize they need to take care of themselves and stop relying on fossil fuel to get their food. And the health benefits are astronomical!

San Francisco Farmer's Market was eye opening. Organic eggs $7/dozen. Cheese $18+/pound. The variety of vegetables and fruits. And then there were the markets in Chinato
wn. Never saw so many different types of greens. And live fish! If we only had those kind of food opportunities in this small community. That's why I grow my own--now I just need to learn to use it all in my kitchen.

I've already planted some tender plants outside--tomatoes, basil, peppers--and other Asian greens. Can't wait when the weather is nice I just have to start planting. But currently they are all covered with row covers. Hopefully that will hold in what little heat we have these days. Have gone to a few workshops at the Herb Farm and of course I had to bring home some new herbs. Planted nettles and chocolate mint the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment