Saturday, April 4, 2009

Spreading Horse Manure!



I spent the morning spreading horse manure around the front lawn and flower beds. What a fitting subject for the first post of my blog. Spreading horse shit! Thank you, Butch. The weather is beautiful--kinda damp and cool--reminds me of Oregon. A place I truly miss. But I think it's snowing all around us. This valley along the Arkansas River of Colorado is protected from the severe weather by Pike's Peak to the north and the Rocky Mountains to the west. Perfect for gardening near the mountains.

The tulips are starting to bloom, the herbs are coming back and the work is starting. Tax season needs to end earlier! The small greenhouse is up and ready to provide us with a sauna. I have a fan in there that runs most of the day, but it still gets up around 100 when the sun is shining. And then of course it only stays a few degrees above the temp outside during the night. I have some brassica starts out there, but don't dare move the peppers and tomatoes out there yet. Might have to put the portable swamp cooler in there for warmer days.

I've already harvested rhubarb and spring greens from the garden. Made a killer Rhubarb Apple Crisp last weekend. Wonder if I can post the recipe on this blog? The Swiss Chard was pretty much available all winter and chives are at their prime now. Just dug some chives up this morning to divide and take to the Co-op meeting tomorrow. One of my artichoke plants from last year is looking good--and that was the one that had the aphids so bad last summer. The French Tarragon along the driveway is coming up strong and looking very promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment